Latest Release Information for AQ 11
The most current release of Ancestral Quest 11 is Build 13. All changes made to AQ 11 since its initial release are listed below.
There is a newer major release of Ancestral Quest. It is version 16. The current build is 10. For a specially priced upgrade fee, you can upgrade to this new version of the software.
Changes in Build 13 (5/12/2005)
- Added a search option for IGI on the Internet menu
- Added an option to the GEDCOM import process if large numbers of citations were imported and the preference for automatically merging duplicate citations was set. This option asks whether the auto merge should take place or be skipped.
- A minor bug was introduced in build 12, which has been fixed. If you went to restore a database, unexpected text would appear in the "Files of Type" field. Fixed.
Changes in Build 12 (4/18/2005)
- There are no enhancements in build 12.
- A bug in the automatic match process was introduced in build 11 as part of the mentioned enhancement in that build. This was fixed. And this fix is the only change in build 12 over build 11.
Changes in Build 11 (4/5/2005)
- Added an option to the Scrapbook List report to also show images of sources and citations.
- Tweaked the automatic match process on the Merge screen to find potential duplicates better.
- Adjusted order of Next/Prev buttons on Merge screen to be more natural.
- Made an adjustment to the Database Check/Repair to better fix one reported problem with marriage records.
- When using the "Search Center", if you change the RIN, then click on "Relationship Search", the relationship search now starts with the changed RIN rather than the RIN that was there when you first entered the search screen.
- If you embedded scrapbook items in a GEDCOM file, and had multiple items for an individual, only the first scrapbook item would be exported. Fixed.
- If you use citation reference numbers, and had requested them to appear on reports, only the first citation for a source properly showed a reference. Now all citations show their references.
- If viewing a PAF 5 database with 'extended' characters (those with umlauts, diacrytics, etc.), these extended characters did not show properly in all fields. Fixed. (Only the characters that are part of the "Windows: Western" character set show -- AQ will not show Unicode characters that are not part of this set.)
- Fixed some reported problem with source images not showing properly on book reports sent to WP and to RTF files.
- A new feature introduced in build 10 was that AKA would display on the Family Group Record. A bug was reported that this caused an intermittant problem. This has been fixed.
- When printing a Family Group Record, there was a rare case in which a line of data would drop off the bottom of a page. Fixed.
Changes in Build 10 (1/12/2005)
- Upgraded the PDF driver from version 2.5 to 3.4. This might provide better support for all users, but we know that the 2.5 version had a problem in Windows 95 and 98. These problems are fixed. (The size download grew by 3 MB due to the increase of the size of this driver.)
- Upgraded the Image diplay drivers from version 10 to version 13. This should provide better support for newer photo types. (The download size grew another 3 MB due to the extra size of this new version.)
- Since version 2.0 of AQ, GIF files have not been supported. With the expiration of the patent on LZW technology, GIF files and TIF files with LZW compression are now supported.
- Adjusted the tab order of some buttons on the Indiv and Marr screens to flow better
- On Collaboration, allowed the user to adjust the Internet timeout value
- When a user successfully enters a registration key, it now provides a message
- Improved the "Search for Backup to Restore" process.
- Added help topics for Advanced Rights on Collaboration files
- For read-only files, if there are no sources for an event, disable the button to see sources
- When searching against Online IGI, made the search for Place case-insensitive, so places would be matched against regions better
- When searching against Online IGI, made a search for christening when birth wasn't there, and for burial when death wasn't there
- For read-only files, if there are no sources for a marriage or indiv event, disable the source button
- When generating IDs, sometimes it would go very slow. Fixed.
- When exporting a GEDCOM file, user had to replace *.ged w/ name.ged. Now AQ suggests a name.
- When editing a source image, disabled some buttons that don't apply, dealing with slide show and scrapbook
- The default for the option to automatically merge duplicate citations in the background has be changed from "no" to "yes". This will only affect users who have not specified this preference yet.
- Allowed the tags < B >, < I > to be case insensitive (work either in capital or lower case letters)
- Removed the text, "List children in order of birth" from FGR except in the blank form
- Made an adjustment to the Filter screen in TempleReady mode, so if the Marriage button is selected, you can view the ordinance status without necessarily going to the marriage edit screen.
- Check/Repair now picks up and fixes problems where a spouse's gender has changed.
- The unnecessary second set of minimize/maximize buttons was removed from a document. This should make it less confusing for some novice users to open two databases simultaneously.
- If you select a source that has only empty citation details, the "Select a Citation" box will not come up if you have set the preference to automatically merge duplicate citations. This should make the source selection process simpler for many situations.
- Long TAG names can exceed width of the tag list in the notes screen. An adjustment was made so that if you stretch the screen, some of the extra width goes to the tags to alleviate this problem.
- Added change logging to the process of updating from a .oup file.
- Title in Fan Chart is now centered rather than left justified
- The IGI search now ignores place calculated characters (< >).
- The Merge screen will no longer gray out the Merge button when two people are not the same sex. It will instead give you a warning if you hit the button.
- During a Database Conversion from PAF to AQ, if you have checked the option to automatically merge duplicate citations, these will merge as part of the conversion process
- Added ability to turn off the "Place" for a user defined event.
- Added a new predefined event. This will show up for any database created by this or future versions of AQ. It is "Additional Name".
- GEDCOM files from a program called "Legacy" include some proprietary 'tags' that are non-standard. AQ now ignores many of these which provide no meaningful data rather than showing them as errors.
- Some other genealogy systems have recently started exporting event notes differently than AQ. AQ can now import these notes, tagged for the events they are associated with.
- Some other genealogy systems export "additional names" in a way that AQ was not importing. AQ now imports these into the Additional Name user defined event.
- AKA is now treated as an "Other Event" on the Family Group Sheet. If the AKA is filled in, and you ask for Other Events, you will see the AKA listed.
- Fixed a problem in check/repair when checking the list of deleted citations
- In a Collaboration DB, fixed a problem wherein the preference to show relationships was not being properly recorded.
- Fixed a couple of bugs that caused AQ to hang when the quick entry place list had trouble.
- In the Name List view, when adjusting the columns, sometimes if you double-clicked on an item to select it, AQ would crash. The Double-click has been disabled to avoid this, selection is availble by using the '>' selector.
- Sort on Create date and Modify date now work
- There was a bug, wherein if you printed a book report to WP file, and you did not want scrapbook photos, you could not get source images. Fixed.
- Marriage dates now print for siblings on Ancestry chart
- When attaching a citation to other events, sometimes the 'apply to' didn't work right. Fixed.
- When updating from an .oup file, after a merge, some parts of the dup record were not being cleared. Fixed.
- The Kindred Konnections site had again become invalid. Removed from the list.
- When merging citations, sometimes duplicates were not all removed. This should be fixed.
- In a Collaborative file, you could not attach a research item to a list of individuals. Fixed.
- Sometimes the advanced rights for a Collaboration file were not properly enforced. Fixed.
- In a Cascading Ped chart w/ split last gen, the ahnentafel # was too low for the spouse in the split generation. Fixed.
- If you have a long list of TAGS in the Notes screen, and are moving a lower one higher in the list, it could temporarily scroll out of sight. Fixed.
- If you removed the check for "Remember Password" in a Collaboration access screen, the password would not be remembered, but the check would be set next time. The check now stays off.
- Cascading Pedigree charts did not always produce sources properly except on the first chart. Fixed.
- In Pedigree charts, if "titles only" was defined, the source images would print improperly if the grayed out option for this was checked. Fixed.
- For the narrative reports (Ahnentafel, Modified Register, web pages), if there was only one parent, and the relationship was not Biological, then the wording of the 'relationship' clause would indicate that there were two parents. Fixed.
- If AQ couldn't find the picture on startup in the Family View, and you checked the box for "Don't show this message again", AQ would crash. Fixed.
- Titles in the Drop Line chart overlapped if larger fonts were selected. Fixed.
- If you Generate IDs, and are Appending IDs to name in the Family View, the change did not immediately show for the primary person. Fixed
- Fixed a bug 'under the hood' that could have in rare cases caused unexplained problems.
- If you had a large number of To Do items in a Collaboration file, the Check Repair could have damaged some of them. Fixed.
- If you had scrapbook or To Do items for a living person, and asked the Export process to include these, then both Scrapbook and To Do items would export with the name "Living". Now both Scrapbook and To Do items no longer print if you do not ask for full information.
- If you work with a .paf (PAF 3/4) data file, and have more than one citation for an event, you might get a prompt when using the "Next"/"Prev" buttons about saving changes, when you had made no changes. Fixed.
- When generating Web pages, if you had no background image for the page, the HTML code could have a couple of lines around the header duplicated. This usually caused no problem, but was messy HTML. Fixed.
- In very rare cases, when you add a new spouse, and add notes during the add process, the notes would require re-entry. Fixed.
Changes in Build 8 (4/7/2004)
- Added a "Tutorial" button to the IGI search screen, which will access a tutorial from the Internet on the best way to use this feature.
- The installer for version 11 did not properly remove the old uninstaller from the list in "Add/Remove Programs". Installing 11.0.8 or later will remove these extra copies.
- In the IGI search screen, if a place name ended in "USA", it did not properly locate the region. Fixed.
- In the IGI search screen, if you asked for the Father or Mother name to be included in the search, it didn't send these names properly. Fixed.
- When using a PAF 5 database, if you sorted (in the Name List view or on the Custom Report) on any name field, or on a live LDS Baptism place, the sort was not correct. Fixed.
Changes in Build 7 (3/25/2004)
- Added a "Marriages" button to the "Search for Individuals" screen, allowing users to view and edit marriages of individuals on the list.
- Added the ability to quickly search the IGI for LDS Ordinances. If you have turned on the LDS Data option in Preferences, you will now find a button labeled "IGI" next to the LDS ordinances on both the Individual and Marriage edit screens. Use this button to access the Internet version of IGI.
- Added ability to filter on spouse name. With this, you can now search for a woman's first name, and the surname of her spouse to locate her.
- On Relationship Filter, you can now select families of a person as either the parent or as the child
- If you are printing scrapbook pages for a list of individuals, AQ used to print out a blank page for any on the list who had no scrapbook items. Now it will skip those individuals.
- When printing reports, the final print options screen now shows you how many pages are in the report.
- When Collaborating, the total Collaboration file size is now shown in the History and Rollback screens. Also, history and rollback times are now shown in local time.
- If you do a Modified Register report with Index, and choose the "Abbreviated Reference" for repeating individuals, the index had extra lines. Fixed.
- If you had selected a set of individuals in the Advanced Filter screen, the next time you came to the screen, it was sometimes not in Advanced mode. Fixed.
- If the start of the deleted list of individuals was bad, check/fix didn't resolve this. It does now.
- If the list of deleted individuals or marriages had a certain type of corruption, it could cause AQ to hang when opening the file. AQ now reports the error and lets the user repair it.
- When using the global search/replace on full names, if the name started with a comma (as in ",,Virginia"), it was sometimes displayed on the confirmation screen without the leading commas (as "Virginia"). Fixed.
- During Search/Replace on Full Place names, if your "to be replaced" name was a single name (ie "Virginia" rather than "Hampton, Virginia"), and you asked AQ to delete the replaced name from the list, then the name would erroneously be removed from the single place name list rather than the full place name list. This caused various side-effects. Fixed.
- If, when exporting to a GEDCOM file, you included research items, and there were any deleted items, it would cause the export to quit without finishing. Fixed.
- Some old GEDCOMs had extra spaces after an index linkage tag. This caused AQ to misread the index when importing. Fixed.
- In GEDCOM export, if you have a scrapbook item attached as either a Document or Other type, the type did not export properly. Fixed.
- When importing a GEDCOM file wherein an individual has "Additional Events" similar to the standard events of birth, death, etc., AQ used to just give a warning that it couldn't handle multiple copies of these standard events. It now recreates additional "Other Events" to store this information.
- If AQ couldn't find the image of a source or citation, it grayed out the ability to fix the name. This has been fixed.
- On the screen that allows you to attach an image to a source or citation, the preview often didn't look right. Fixed.
- In the rare case of backing up before opening the file because of an error during open, AQ would crash after the backup was complete. Fixed.
- Fixed a very unlikely problem with AQ hanging when previewing the Modified Register report backwards from the Notes appendix to a regular page with a footnote near the top of that page.
Changes in Build 5 (2/3/2004)
- If you used the "Search for Existing" button on the Add Individual screen to link a family member, the list of deleted individual records would be damaged. This bug was introduced in build 4, so it affected only those who used this feature with version 11.0.4. AQ will not open a file with a corrupt delete list, so the symptom of this problem is that AQ will require you to run Check/Repair prior to opening the file. This has been fixed.
- The Database Check/Repair would not fix the problem listed above if the file had not been fully opened. It appeared that the file could not be repaired. This has been fixed.
Changes in Build 4 (1/30/2004)
- Several new source types were added:
- Burial Record
- Census Index
- LDS Temple Records
- Medical Record
- Pedigree Chart (To supplement Family Group Sheet)
- Verbal Communication (More general than Lecture or Interview)
- Written Correspondence (More general than Letter or Email)
- When sorting (either on the Name List view or in a Custom report) on the ID field, any IDs that are a number will now sort as a number, and be sorted prior to any non-numeric entries. If you use the new "Generate IDs" tool, this will sort the individuals by RIN or by Ahnentafel number, depending on which type of ID you generated.
- When Collaborating, the following new capabilities were added:
- An owner or administrator of a file can limit a Guest or User so that he/she cannot:
- Convert the file to a local file that AQ can use outside of collaboration
- Import a GEDCOM file
- Create a GEDCOM file
- Rebuild the file
- Publish the file to a new collaborative file
- Merge individuals
- Copy the file from within AQ
- Reset the root person in relationship indicators
- Generate Custom IDs
- Turn on LDS optons
- The owner can transfer file ownership to a fellow collaborator
- An owner or administrator of a file can limit a Guest or User so that he/she cannot:
- Enhancements to the Change Log
- Fixes made by Check/Repair are logged
- Linking family members together is now logged
- Unlinking family members is now logged
- Research Items linked to multiple individuals are now logged properly
- Record global replacement of names and places
- Record changes to order of children, spouses and parents
- Record merging of individuals
- Record merging of repositories, sources and citations
- Enhancements to Check/Repair:
- If an LDS Seal to Parent record had not been properly removed in a merge, remove it.
- When checking marriage records, one check was improved
- Some additional possible problems with scrapbooks had been reported. These can now be found and fixed
- When creating a GEDCOM file, the "Ignore Possible Problem" flag is now only put in the file if it is set. Since most other programs don't know what to do with this piece of information, it cuts down the number of "error" message the other program reports when importing this GEDCOM file.
- When converting a PAF 5 database to an AQ database, the user is notified of a manual task that must be taken care of to complete the conversion. (The sentence structures for "Other Events" must be edited for the events to be properly reported on book reports and web pages.)
- Made some improvements to help new users. The "Par/Rel" button on the Family view was changed to "Add'l Par/Rel" to help users understand that this button allows you to link additional parents to an individual, and a note was placed on the LDS tab of the individual edit screen to alert users that these fields could be moved to the main Individual tab.
- If there was a certain internal database problem with the children in a marriage, or the list of spouses for an individual, AQ could 'hang'. This has been fixed.
- If there was a certain internal database problem with the list of scrapbook items for an individual, AQ could 'hang' or crash. This has been fixed, and Check/Repair will now stabalize this problem.
- When a source citation was added to a Seal to Parent event, the display of citations for a source could display the wrong individual. This has been fixed.
- If there was a certain problem in the Quick Place names list, AQ could 'hang'. This has been fixed. Now the problem will show up as an incomplete list until it is repaired.
- When exporting a .paf file to a GEDCOM file, the list of possible destination programs did not include Ancestral Quest, and a couple of checkboxes were allowed that should not have been. These have been fixed.
- When importing a GEDCOM file with scrapbook items, the items did not link up properly. Fixed.
- When merging individuals with scrapbook items, the scrapbook items did not merge properly. Fixed.
- When converting a database with scrapbook items, the scrapbook items did not link up properly. This could happen when:
- Converting from a PAF file to AQ or visa versa
- Rebuilding a database (from the Check/Repair screen)
- Initially publishing a file to Collaboration
- The Ancestry Wall Chart with Siblings did not always line up the start of a subsequent page with the prior page. Fixed
- The Ahnentafel Book report had the following problem, and has been fixed. If the "Children" box was checked, and notes and photos were checked, and a child had both lengthy notes and a photo, then the next page might not start where the current page ended.
- If you started adding an individual, and added either notes or other events, then cancelled the add, the notes and other events were not properly removed, causing a warning in Check/Repair. Fixed.
- A collaboration Owner or Administrator could not revoke a user's rights to a file. The user would disappear from the list of users with rights, but they would reappear with rights when the list was refreshed. Fixed.
- If the description field of a custom event was included in a custom report, the program could crash. Fixed.
- If a place name had less than four characters (usually an abbreviation), it would not sort properly. Fixed.
- If a research item was connected to multiple individuals, then deleted, it was not fully removed from all the individuals. Fixed.
Changes in Build 2 (12/8/2003)
- Enhanced the Change Log feature to be more reliable and record more types of changes to the file
- Added some keyboard mnemonics to several screens dealing with Collaboration
- Adjusted the Change Log Preference in Collaboration so that the preference would be checked in, and adjusted the option so that only an Owner or Administrator of a collaborative file could change this setting
- In the Name View, in rare cases the "Age" would not calculate and sort correctly. Fixed.
- In rare cases, the Drop Line "Direct Line of Descent" chart would not print part of a connecting line. Fixed.
Changes in Build 1 (10/24/2003)
- Enhanced the Change Log feature to be more reliable and record more types of changes to the file
- Fixed a bug when searching through notes on a PAF 5 file so that an unnecessary warning message would not appear
- Fixed a problem with selecting a master source for a GEDCOM import
Changes in Build 0 (10/19/2003)
- Build 0 was the first commercially available build.